Sunday, November 3, 2019

Self Discipline and a little love for Mondays ...


#writeforthirty day 2

Well I thought I would give myself some help and get on the google and look for some writing prompts for this little 30 day writing challenge I decided to hop on board for.  Well let me tell you folks the google did not disappoint if one is looking for quantity in responses, quality on the other hand well.... I decided to figure out what to write about myself.  Actually that is not 100 percent accurate - a friend unknowingly helped me figure out what to write about.  So here we are with "self discipline and a little love for Mondays." I am not sure if I am supposed to include my research time for this post into my writing schedule so I did a little digging before I set the timer - we'll see how this goes.

Self discipline - what in the world is this?  One might also call it self control.  Now I know you all probably have the market covered here and don't struggle one bit with self control or self discipline.  I kid I kid!! I think it is safe to say that everyone struggles with this in some aspect of their lives.  And if you don't and are willing to raise your hand and say I have it all figured out - then please please let us in on the secret sauce.  I once took the Strengths Finders Test and scored rather high on the discipline part which in essence means its one of my strengths. And to some degree I would agree with this and then to another degree I think they got the diagnosis wrong LOL.

Here's what Websters says about self discipline - the ability to control one's feelings and overcome one's weaknesses; the ability to pursue what one thinks is right despite temptations to abandon it.

The Bible has a lot to say about self-discipline aka self-control.  Several thoughts come to my mind from scripture but this is always the one that comes to my mind first!

1 Corinthians 9: 24-27
"Do you not know that in a race all runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things.  They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  But I discipline my body and keep it under control lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."

I love the way Paul paints this picture for us.  You know back in Ancient times they weren't exactly passing out t-shirts and medals to the marathon winners - but they were putting wreaths around the winners heads.  Here Paul is reminding us - all that we do all this exercise and training and self control we practice is for the imperishable wreath - the gift that never perishes - LIFE EVERLASTING.  This is about the gospel and isn't the bottom line always about the gospel!? Isn't that what this life is about.

I am no writer friends and even as I read this back to myself - I am like what in the world does this have to do with anything. Am I making any sense at all.  I am not exactly giving you the prescription to perfect all our self control problems -actually I am - its the gospel - because really that is the answer to every problem.

 In my mind I had it all planned out to let you know that the world discipline actually comes from the greek word gymnazo which means to train and its where we get our word gym from. I guess other words just came to me first and now my timer is about to be up in two minutes.

Tomorrow is Monday and I LOVE Mondays - and not just because my kids go back to school LOL.  Mondays are the beginning of a new week.  A chance to start fresh.  They just are my favorite.  So while most people are hating on Mondays I love them.

Well friends that's all I got and time's up. We'll see ya when I see ya!
~LeighAnn

No comments:

 I know I failed the task I set for myself of writing for 30 minutes at least once a week until the foreseeable future … or now that I am th...