Tuesday, November 5, 2019

My favorite broadway musical etc. etc .etc. :-)

#writeforthirty Day 4

I confess ~ for tonights blog post I had to look up some prompts for a little nudge.  I adapted the one I chose for tonight and while I have set my timer for 30 minutes I will be satisfied if I make it 15.  Because lets face it - I have written on this blog in over 3 years and while I want to with all my little heart to write for 30 days - 30 minutes for 30 days might have been ambitious. (Edit note - I well exceeded my 30 minutes LOL)  So we'll see how it goest yep I wrote goest ;-) tonight.  Now for the topic at hand.... turns out I liked it :-)

What is your favorite Broadway musical, how has it influenced your life and the way that you view the world? (The way I view the world part mmm I am not really digging that particular part of the question so I'm not sure I'll get to that ...)

So it should come as NO surprise that my favorite Broadway musical is Wicked.  And I guarantee it will probably be my favorite musical til my dying day.

Wicked the musical is based on the book written by Gregory Maguire.  I have not read this nor do I have any plans to ever read it just an fyi.  The musical is written by screen writer Winnie Holzman with music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz.  And yes I had to look some of this up.  Basically Wicked is the story before The Wizard of Oz.  The prequel if you will.  Without giving too many details for our friends who have not had the magnificent opportunity to see this dazzling show the just of the story line is how did the wicked witch of the west become who she was.  And did she and the good witch know one another? No spoiler here - they did know one another.  I will say if you haven't seen The Wizard of Oz - you really should see it before you ever see Wicked the Broadway Musical, because I don't think any of it will really make much sense if you don't.

How has it influenced my life .... hmmm well sometimes when I am sweeping up the kitchen floor I pretend the broom is my microphone or my ride LOL and I have an all out song and dance show singing some of my most absolute favorite tunes from this particular musical, but I don't really think that is what this question is really getting to.  To be honest - this show just brings me joy.  I have seen it upward of 9 plus times I think.  I know it sounds super horrible that a show titled Wicked could bring any joy into ones life.  After all we're all born wicked and without Jesus we would have NO hope and that is horrid.  The thing is I do have Jesus which means I have great HOPE.  The title of the show just happens to be not so fabulous.  Here's the deal - God gave us things on earth to enjoy and I just happen to be under the belief that this show is one of those things for me.  I could sing the songs in my sleep. The music is just fantastic.  The details that went into costuming, staging, choreographing - ALL THE THINGS  - I just really appreciate them.  I think if you asked the person that sat next to me all the times I have seen this show they would probably say I am just radiant. I'm taken right to Oz - the setting for this story.



This show has taught me about friendships and reminded me often of the old cliche "you can't judge a book by its cover."

I have soo many favorite songs from this show but I am going to close with my favorite - the one I would choose to listen to over all the others.  I will even link a video here for you to listen to the original broadway cast performers sing (plus others who have performed these roles in previous years) in a recent gathering to celebrate the shows 15th anniversary. I even had a fun party for this event :-)



















Watch it and then call a dear friend and tell him or her - "because I knew (know) you ~ I've been changed for good"

I'm limited

Just look at me - I'm limited
And just look at you
You can do all I couldn't do, Glinda
So now it's up to you
For both of us - now it's up to you...

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...
Like a comet pulled from orbit

As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

Like a ship blown from its mooring 
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird
In a distant wood 
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good 

And just to clear the air 
I ask forgiveness 
For the things I've done
You blame me for 

But then, I guess 
We know there's blame to share
And none of it seems to matter anymore

Like a comet pulled from orbit

As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood 

Like a ship blown from its mooring 
By a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird in the wood

Who can say 
If I've been changed for the better?
I do believe I have been changed for the better
And because I knew you 
Because I knew you 
Because I knew you 

I have been changed 
For good. 













No comments:

 I know I failed the task I set for myself of writing for 30 minutes at least once a week until the foreseeable future … or now that I am th...