Wednesday, February 15, 2012

the story of the quilt....

When DP and I first began the process of adoption my friend Tammy told me to let her know when we had to decided to go ahead and move forward.  So I let her know and she said that she had something to give to me.  Tammy and her husband at one time had been in the process to adopt from China as well - but the Lord had other plans for their lives.  Well while they were in the process - other families who were also in the same process began to send quilt squares to them.  In China to welcome and celebrate new life there is a tradition to make a Bai Jia Bei or 100 Good Wishes Quilt.  It is custom for friends and family to donate a patch of cloth along with a wish for the baby.  Part of the patch should go into the quilt and the other part in a memory book for the child.  The quilt is said to contain luck and energy and is passed down from generation to generation.  Tammy gave me all her quilt squares and the cards that came along with them.  It just so happened that my friend Angie had just taken a quilting class when Tammy had given me all these squares.  So what did I do??  I called Angie and asked her to make a quilt for me.  She has quite the story to tell about her adventure in making the quilt and maybe I can convince her to blog about it.  I am so thankful that Tammy thought of us and gave us all the quilt squares and I am so thankful to Angie for taking the squares and turning it into a beautiful quilt and mini blanket for our sweet girl!!  Enjoy the pics....

front of quilt

back of the quilt, the binding says faith, hope and charity...

front of mini quilt

back of mini quilt

1 comment:

Lois Cooke said...

Sucha beautiful quilt for such a beautiful little girl!