Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Recipe for disaster....

LeighAnn = cooking nightmare.  That is a very accurate statement.  In fact it has become a little joke in my immediate family.  When I cook (with the exception of a few things) it doesn't get all the way done, it is burnt, or it just tastes awful!!  Tonight was no exception.  I used a recipe that had been handed down and seemed rather fool proof.  It was called "no peek chicken"  called for chicken, rice, cream of celery soup, water, onion soup mix, grated cheese, and crushed ritz crackers.  You throw all this into a baking dish and bake at 300 for 3 hours.  Well I followed the directions to a t and baked it for exactly how long it said on what setting it said.  Didn't turn out so well.  I can usually tell when my family doesn't like the meal by their reactions - i.e. DP won't have seconds and the kids well - they speak for themselves.  In fact tonight DP only had one helping and here is what N had to say "it feels like I am eating rocks."  Friends all I could do was laugh.  I might for a few moments have wanted to cry but at this point in my cooking career it has just gotten humorous.  I can do alot of things but cooking is NOT one of them.  And really that is a sad thing.  I love the kitchen.  I love for my family to sit down together at meal time and enjoy one another and the time we have together - because one day these times will be gone!!  I must confess though - when one is horrible in the kitchen these times are not frequent!  So friends I need your help.  I need some recipes and I might even need some cooking classes.  HELP!! Send me your thoughts and ideas or come be my teacher!! The menu for tomorrow night is spaghetti - there is hope for my family - the won't be hungry at  least not tomorrow night :)

1 comment:

Rene Chesnut said...

Hey girl! I have a "no peek beef Casserole" that is very easy and I don't believe you could ruin it. I haven't heard of the recipe that you did before - I wonder if the cheese and crackers should have been added towards the end.

No Peek Beef Casserole
2 lbs round steak or bite size stew beef meat
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
2 (3oz) cans sliced mushrooms undrained
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 soup can of water

Mix all ingredients in a 2 qt casserole and cover. Bake at 300 for 3 hours. Do not uncover during cooking time. serve over rice and noodles.

I do add a little salt and pepper and sprinkle some worchestershire sauce over the meat for a little added seasoning. I promise you can't mess this up:)

Another quick family favorite
"Chicken Pie"

3 cups diced, cooked chicken
1 (10oz) pkg of frozen mixed vegetables or 1 can veg-all
1 cup chicken broth
1 can cream of celery soup
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup (stick) melted margarine

Preheat oven to 400. spray a shallow baking dish (9x13) with Pam, Place chicken and then vegetables in baking dish. Stir together broth, soup and pepper. Pour over chicken mixture. Combine flour & milk and butter and stir until smooth. Pour over mixture in baking dish. Bake 40 to 50 minutes until lightly brown. Let cool 10 minutes. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

I usually serve this with a tossed salad or fruit salad.

Let me know how it comes out.

Looking forward to this year
Rene