Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The beach and books



It is no secret I love to read, I love a good bookstore and I LOVE the beach.  DP says if we ever move to the beach when we retire we will have to live far away from the bookstore or he would never see me because I love to read on the beach :).  And this vacation proved no less.  I read three books on vacation and not just little books you know the 400 page kind.  I am very thankful that my boys are content to play in the sand until their hearts are content while mommy sits and reads.  I love it.  And I am thankful for the kindle and amazon free books.  It is a great travel companion and I don't have to pack so many books to take with me. Road trips have made reading this summer a bit easier as I don't think I have read this many books since I was in school!  This summer I have read 8 books : Redeeming Love, A Voice in the Wind, An Echo in the Darkness, As Sure as the Dawn (all Francine Rivers); The Help (Kathryn Stockett); The Swan House, The Dwelling Place (Elizabeth Musser) and Courageous (Randy Alcorn)  All these books are fiction with the majority being Christian fiction the only exception was The Help.  I read an article the other day about reading fiction and I would like to quote it here: 

    "I read more fiction than I do non-fiction, if you exempt the Bible from consideration, and I consider it, most often, truer than anything in the world. Those without the imagination to read fiction usually lack the imagination to hear the rhythm and contours of Scripture, much less to peer into the mysteries of the human heart."

Happy reading...

No comments: