Friday, February 13, 2009

Taste and See that the Lord is Good!

The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17~

A friend of mine and fellow blogger posted this verse on her blog the other day and it reminded me of a song that was written based on this very verse of scripture. Then this morning as I was reading John Pipers book "Taste and See ...Savoring the Supremacy of God in ALL of Life 140 Meditations" There the verse was again!! I absolutely love this book and if I could I would buy one for all of my friends. I have many favorite authors - Elizabeth George, CJ Mahaney, Ravi Zacharias and now I can add to my list John Piper. Oh how I wish I had more time to read!! I love God and His word and I love it when He uses others to show Himself. Piper says "one of the good reasons we turn to other writers besides the Bible is that we savor the taste of God not only in the Bible, but also the way others savor Him." Piper does in my opinion an excellent job of showing God's perfection and excellency to me the reader! And I most definitely need this. I find myself thinking for a good part of the many attributes of Christ! Today I even memorized some scripture he quoted. "His delight is not in the strength of a horse, nor his pleasure in the legs of a man; but the Lord delights in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love. " ~Psalm 147:10-11 This struck me today ... Confession time for a moment... I have been very consumed with how I look right now trying to what I feel like is no avail to rid myself of the weight I gained while being pregnant ... all the while still trying to eat enough to feed not just myself but also Ethan as I am still breastfeeding.... mind you I am doing myself no favors eating a bunch of junk. Anyway I have been running which requires the use of my legs. And I am very thankful for those legs I have been given by God and that they work rather well. However God is not impressed in my running capabilities or how much weight I can lose by running "nor is his pleasure in the legs of a man" He takes pleasure when I fear him and hope in only him not in my looks. So if you are reading this you can pray for me. Pray that my fear for the Lord will increase and that while getting healthy is a worthwhile goal - it is all the more worthwhile when my priorities are in order and I do it the proper way. And hey it has happened twice before I am thinking it will happen again. If you can get this book and have a great day!!

No comments: