Saturday, January 3, 2009

Goodnight Gorilla...


I know you must be wondering...... "Goodnight Gorilla?" Well let me tell you it is Luke's absolute favorite book - thanks to the Ferst Foundation. This is a literacy foundation that sends all three of my kids books in the mail once a month for free!! It is so much his favorite that the first copy of it is tattered and torn ... in fact I almost threw it away but decided for sentimental reasons to keep it and put it along side his baby book which is half empty but that is another story. Fortunately when I called the foundation to sign Ethan up I was telling the girl on the phone how much Luke loved Goodnight Gorilla and how we read it all the time so much so that it was getting to be unreadable.... you will not believe it but she sent us another copy - FREE and wrote Luke a sweet letter about reading. This was was in my book no pun intended second mile service - as if getting free books wasn't already going the second mile??!! Well I happened to be in Target with my mom before Christmas and you won't believe what is on video... you guessed it Goodnight Gorilla!! So needless to say he got it for Christmas and we watched it tonight. It is only about 8 minutes long so we watched it twice and he sat on the couch with his book while he watched!! It was so precious. After watching I of course had to read it to him and I always have him help me read it because now he knows it by heart. So when we come to each animal I ask him what kind of animal it is and tonight when we got to the Lion he says "that's a lion - probably Aslan." For those of you who don't know Aslan is from The Chronicles of Narnia. It was humorous to me not so much the Aslan part but the probably in front of Aslan.... So now if you can get a hold of a copy go read Goodnight Gorilla and if you haven't seen either Narnia movies - watch those too!! Let us know what you think!! (Amy -you should be proud several posts in a row!!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have this book and it was one of Micah's favorites as a little one. He would be way too embarassed to admit to it at the ripe old age of 9 , but he still likes it when I read it to his sisters.

Becky Grulke Mahon said...

Thank you so much for the information in your post about the Ferst Foundation! I read up on it and it sounds like such a wonderful thing to get my kids involved in! I signed up Mikey and Ellis (unfortunately Sonya is too old) and can't wait for our first books in the mail!! Thanks again! - Beck